Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Crystalized Blackness



             

I am a gradute student at the Mayborn School of Journalism at the
University of North Texas. If you don’t know much about Denton,Texas,
one thing you should know is: it is NOT BY ANY MEANS AN HBCU. I am all
about diversity and inclusion, however I have found myself yearning for a
“familiar skin tone.” My entire life has consisted of AP courses, honor
societies, leaderships positions, and my mother continuously instilling
“you can do anything white people do,” notion within me….. But why am i
always competing? At times, I feel a sense of liberation as I find myself being the
only “black,” enrolled within a section…and other times I feel as if I
am a “radical revolutionary” sitting at the front of the class with my
“nappy” textured fro, afro-centric fit, and my “yeah:watch what you say
when we talk about race,” demeanor. I dont mean to be “the standard,
passive
aggressive educated” type of black woman amongst our many stereotypical
categories…but I desire to be seen. be heard. be
acknowledged. My blackness spills over, so much…that I loose
pigmentation and therefore illuminate transparency: seen through, crystalized blackness.
Thats not ok.
I expressed my feelings of invisibility to a few of my friends but
unless you are experiencing, it is impossible to fully understand the
experience. I am a free slave, with vocal chords and no sound. Maybe my
race isnt a huge deal, maybe its my gender…so imagine….being black &
being woman.
Feel me?
It was refreshing to come across the article entitled "Being Black at UCLA School of Law." Also known as 33. Check out the Video Above….and maybe just maybe you can understand the frustrations.
FACT: 33 other people understands how it feels to be black and
transparent….a large part of me finds comfort in knowing my feelings of
invisible blackness isnt the only, but I still yearn to find the “33”
that exist within my program.

By : Morganne Nikole

No comments:

Post a Comment