Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Album Stream: Sam Smith In The Lonely Hour

After numerous teasers, Sam Smith returns with an exclusive listen of his debut full-length,  In the Lonely Hour. The album commences with a mid-tempo melody “Money on My Mind,” a number that displays a wave of electronic stained snaps, galvanic drums, and a cadence of piano keys. The album continues with Smith’s spell-binding falsettos crooning various themes of jealousy, yearning, self-reflection, determination, and bad habits. Pop induced ballads such as “Like I Can,” are assorted between soul-infused gospel melodies and breathtaking vocal compositions. Smith’s emotive love confessions were inspired from his experience with tales of unrequited love.
In his FADER cover story, he reveals the album was inspired by a former love interest that did not possess mutual feelings of affection:
But it [the album] was a good form of closure, to get off my chest and tell him. I feel better for it. I feel almost like I signed off this part of my life where I keep giving myself to guys who are never going to love me back.
Smith’s music creates a an emotional storyboard between the artist and listener. His amalgamation between pop, soul, and R&B genres create a goldmine of honest revelations and astounding musical artistry.
Stream the full album via NPR and purchase the album June 17, released via Capitol Records.

Morganne Nikole 
 Saint Heron: http://bit.ly/1mDk5nV

No comments:

Post a Comment